Friday, May 14, 2010

On the road....


Elayne Goodman of Columbus, MS

It has been my pleasure to be out and about this week visiting artists around the state with a my co-workers here at MAC. Doing this makes me realize how much I truly love this work. To see these artists in their own environments, creating their beautiful work is so inspiring. To be able to assist them in some small way is a true gift to me.

First we traveled to Louisville, MS where we met Katrina Estes-Hill, a folk/pop artist and storyteller. She has a wonderful, creative spirit and draws her work from her life in rural Mississippi. Our next stop was Columbus, MS where we visited the studio and home of folk artist, Elayne Goodman. We were all astounded by this amazing woman's work and story. She is a true gift to this state. Finally, we visited the home of basketweaver/painter Charles Jenkins of Hazelhurst. He actually goes into the woods, cuts down a small tree, brings it back to his home and begins the process of creating a basket....needless to say it is an amazing process. He also creates beautiful paintings using mud and clay.
The talent in this state never ceases to amaze me! A week like this makes me love my job even more!
Susan Dobbs, Public Relations Director

No comments: